1. Some people believe that the government has the duty to ensure its citizens to have a healthy diet, while others believe that it is individuals’ responsibility to care for their diet and health. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
2. Some people think that environmental problems are too big for individuals to solve. Others, however, believe that the problems cannot be solved if individuals do not take action. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
3. Governments are encouraging industries and businesses to move from large cities to regional areas. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
4. Now people in many countries can live and work anywhere they choose because of improved communication technology and transport. Do the advantages of this development outweigh its disadvantages?
5. In developing countries, some people think governments should introduce new technology to people in order to improve quality of life, while others believe governments should offer free education. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
6. Government funds should only be provided for the best students as scholarships. Other funding of universities should come from student fees and private organizations. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7. It is not necessary to travel to other places to learn about the other culture. We can learn as much as from books, films and the Internet. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
8. It is better for people to be unemployed than people to be employed, but they do not enjoy. To what extent do agree or disagree?
9. Some people think that most crime is the result of circumstances, e.g. poverty and other social problems. Others believe that most crime is caused by people who are bad in nature. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
10. Research shows that overeating can be just as harmful as smoking. Thus, the advertising of certain food products should be banned, as cigar is banned in many countries. Do you agree or disagree?